Getting bitten by a poisonous copperhead snake can be fatal for a human, so imagine how terrifying it is when it happens to a tiny puppy. That's exactly what happened in East Tennessee recently.
An Animal Rescue's Deadly Warning For People Walking Their Dogs
Five adorable hound puppies were in a foster home through Halos Second Chance Animal Rescue when they were bitten by a Copperhead snake while playing on their foster parent's porch. The effects of the bites were immediate, as the puppies began to swell terribly and whine in pain.
The shelter had no choice but to take the pups to an emergency vet, where they underwent hyperbaric oxygen therapy. The therapy involves placing them in a high-pressure chamber to rapidly increase body tissue healing, WBIR reports.
They were also given serums (which cost $900 per vial, according to the shelter) to counteract the poison. While the clinic donated the hyperbaric oxygen therapy treatment for two of the pups, the shelter was still hit with huge bills for their treatment — totaling more than $8,000.
The shelter said that the bills could potentially shut them down and started a Go Fund Me page to raise the money to cover the costs of treatment. The page has raised $10,700 — well over the $8,000 goal. The additional funds were put toward the puppies' aftercare and medicine.
We're so happy the puppies made it through their ordeal safely, and this is a great reminder for pet owners to protect your pets from summer hazards.
Are you interested in learning more about what you're reading? Then scroll through this article about 10 dog breeds with the most expensive veterinary bills. Also, like us on Facebook and join our newsletter to learn more about your pet's behavior.