A woman in Denver is suing Starbucks over a cup of scalding hot tea that she claims killed her dog.
Video of the Day
Fox 31 Denver reports that the case was filed in Federal Denver Court and states that the incident happened in September 2015. The woman, Deanna Salas-Solano, 58, says Starbucks served her a cup of scalding tea without a secured lid, hot sleeve, and double-cup as is the company's policy.
Salas-Solano claims that the tea was so hot that it burned her hand and, when it spilled, melted her clothes, resulting in second-degree burns. According to the suit, when she screamed in pain from the burns, her dog, Alexander, jumped into her lap, which caused the tea to spill on him as well.
The lawsuit says Alexander was rushed to a veterinary hospital, but "ultimately succumbed to the injuries caused by the tea, dying a short time later."
Salas-Solano required reconstructive surgery and skin grafts. She's seeking more than $100,000 in her lawsuit.
For its part, Starbucks denies wrongdoing. "We have video evidence that clearly contradicts the claims made by the plaintiff and believe they are without merit. We look forward to presenting our case in court," the company said in a statement. "While we are sympathetic to Ms. Salas-Solano and the injuries she sustained, we don't have any reason to believe our partner (employee) was at fault."
Always check with your veterinarian before changing your pet’s diet, medication, or physical activity routines. This information is not a substitute for a vet’s opinion.