WATCH: Fire Nearly Breaks Out After Good Boy Steals Pancake From Stovetop

Everyone knows that pancakes are the breakfast of champions. Yes, even dogs.

So it's not really a surprise that they would help be unable to resist the temptation that comes when warm flapjacks are left unattended on the top of the oven.

Cute, funny, relatable stuff, no?

But when an unchaperoned golden retriever inadvertently ignited the gas range on a stove doing just this, the story takes a more serious turn.

According to WBIR, emergency officials responding to a fire alarm arrived at a Southwick, Massachusetts home this week to find a pair of pups curled up on the couch — and a layer of smoke wafting from the kitchen.

Thankfully, the firefighters were able to catch the flames before they spread. And when the homeowners reviewed the security footage from their home alarm system, they realized just how close the four-legged scofflaws came to burning the structure down.

In an effort to educate other homeowners about this and related dangers, the fire department later shared the video on Facebook, along with the following caption:

"Alarms Work!

We would like to thank a local resident for sharing this video. First, we always caution about putting items on the stove. In this case, the family pet decided to help themselves to some leftover pancakes while the owners were away.

Unfortunately, the dog hit the ignition button on the gas stove. Within minutes you will see the item on stove begin to ignite. In this case, the homeowner was connected to a monitored alarm system calling responders saving severe damage. If you have pets or young children in the home look into safety covers for your stove controls."

Watch it in the embed below:

Alarm Works

Alarms Work! We would like to thank a local resident for sharing this video. First, we always caution about putting items on the stove. In this case, the family pet decided to help themselves to some leftover pancakes while the owners were away. Unfortunately, the dog hit the ignition button on the gas stove. Within minutes you will see the item on stove begin to ignite. In this case, the homeowner was connected to a monitored alarm system calling responders saving severe damage. If you have pets or young children in the home look into safety covers for your stove controls.

Posted by Southwick Fire Department on Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Fortunately, no one (or dog) was hurt and damage was minimized. Props to the firefighters and police officers that defused the situation and keep us safe!