Winter is the literal worst, but for these doggos, a glimmer of hope beckons just over the horizon: catchers and pitchers will soon report to 30 Major League camps across Florida and Arizona.
9 Spring Training Dogs We Want To Take Us Out To The Ball Game
Here then are nine diamond dogs eagerly awaiting the return of baseball — and with it sunshine, home runs, and lazy afternoons at the old ballpark.
1. At the top of the order is this furry dog in a baby sling. He's not dozing, just resting his eyes when the manager brings in a never-ending series of situational relief pitchers mid-inning.
2. The second slugger in our lineup is a dog dressed as a hot dog eating a hot dog during the dog days of summer. You're welcome.
I want to stress that the rest of the video from which this GIF was cut is equally adorable. Watch it here.
3. Batting third: this wiener dog dashing pellmell around the infield at a minor league game in El Paso. While he was called out for straying from the base path, he'll always have a home in our dugout.
4. The cleanup spot is typically reserved for a squad's most powerful hitter. On our team, we take a more literal approach: Starting in place of the traditional bat boy, bat dog here fetches the lumber after each at-bat.
5. ZERO CLUE WHAT'S HAPPENING HERE, SO YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS OURS!
6. Scouts like the wheels on this dog — he covers the distance from home to first base in 3.2 seconds, which beats the league average by a full second — but they have serious concerns about his arm strength or ability, to well, even grip the ball.
7. In the seven-hole is this excitable German shepherd. He likes chasing balls, but ~loves~ arguing balls and strikes.
8. You might be cool but you'll never be as cool as this baseball dog with a green mohawk.
9. At the bottom of the order is this chill AF bull terrier. The only time she loses her cool is when the batter fails to drive in the runner from third with less than two outs. (Because fundamentals, yo.)
Our headline promised 9 pups but the score is tied so we're going into extra innings!