Dogs & Ibuprofen

By Mallory Collier

Ibuprofen medications such as Advil and Motrin have long been popular over-the-counter pain relievers among humans. Administering ibuprofen medications to dogs, however, can create very dangerous and even life-threatening complications.


Veterinarians very rarely prescribe ibuprofen to dogs. When prescribed, the typical dosage is two to four milligrams per pound of overall body weight.


Dogs can only consume a fraction of the amount of ibuprofen that is safe for humans. When canines have ingested too much ibuprofen, death occurs shortly after. A very small window of time exists for emergency intervention.

Overdose Symptoms

Symptoms of ibuprofen overdose in canines include appetite loss, vomiting, weakness, bloody stools, belly pain and dehydration.

Overdose Treatment

Unfortunately, symptoms of ibuprofen overdose in dogs often develop too quickly to seek veterinary assistance. If veterinary intervention has been made, treatment may include pumping of the stomach, administering activated charcoal and intravenous fluids.


Ibuprofen should never be given to dogs without specific directions from a veterinarian.