Life has changed a lot since the '90s: the internet, cell phones, the resurgence of the kitten heel. Owning a pet has changed too — pet fads, pet style, pet technology — but we're here to say that we think it's changed for the better. Here are just a few reasons why owning a pet in the '90s was totally different from owning one today. Let's talk.
1. Back then, when you left the house you had no idea what your pet was up to. These days, pet monitors make our pets private lives not so private anymore.
2. Relatedly, pet trackers are currently all the rage, which hopefully means way fewer “Lost Cat” posters around.
3. Back then our calendars were filled with human’s birthday parties, not dog ones. (But we kind of like the dog parties better.)
Image: Chicago Now
4. And pets were certainly not as well dressed as they are today.
Image: Funny Junk
5. Today’s pets really have to hustle to keep up with fads. But the results are adorably worth it.
6. In the ‘90s, exotic pets were all the rage.
7. Whereas these days, French Bulldogs are the favorite.
8. Well, aside from hedgehogs which are also having a moment in the pet popularity sun.
9. It’s super possible that in the ‘90s your pet was actually a Tamagotchi.
10. In the ‘90s there was barely Internet, but in 2016 it’s hard to imagine that your social media presence isn’t 90% pix of your animal.
11. Who are we even kidding, your pet probably has their own account.
12. Another big change? Pet ownership numbers are up. Yay!
13. And in 2016, it’s totally okay to bring your pet almost everywhere.