Is Blue Ice Pack Fluid Toxic to Dogs?

Cuteness may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story.

When you think of a dog's diet, you probably don't think of Rubbermaid Blue Ice packs. And for good reason: your pal shouldn't be eating them. Although, if he does, they're generally nontoxic.

Video of the Day


Blue Ice packs owe their icelike qualities to propylene glycol. Propylene glycol in pure form is typically toxic, but according to the Blue Ice material safety data sheet, the level of glycol present in Blue Ice is not toxic. While the MSDS concerns mostly people, your pup will likely not suffer any ill effects if he eats some of the blue liquid inside. In fact, propylene glycol is sometimes added to dog food, often around 6 percent to 12 percent in semi-moist foods, according to "Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and Cats."


What to Do

If your pal gets a hold of a Blue Ice pack, take it away from him, phone your vet and keep an eye on the rascal. Although the liquid is unlikely to cause problems, it's best to talk to his doc when he gets into anything that has the off chance of making him sick. If he vomits, appears weak, has seizures, stumbles or experiences any other serious symptoms, make a beeline to your vet.

By Chris Miksen


VistaLab Technologies: Material Safety Data Sheet Blue Ice/Reusable Ice Substitute
Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and Cats; Subcommittee on Dog and Cat Nutrition et al.
Veterinary Information Network: Antifreeze Toxicoses

About the Author
Located in Pittsburgh, Chris Miksen has been writing instructional articles on a wide range of topics for online publications since 2007. He currently owns and operates a vending business. Miksen has written a variety of technical and business articles throughout his writing career. He studied journalism at the Community College of Allegheny County.