Puppies love to chew, whether it's a toy, your shoes or a found stick or plant. It's a normal, healthy behavior with potentially unhealthy consequences, particularly if Pete picks a plant that's toxic to him. If Pete's drawn to greenery, keep him away from English ivy, or choose a safer vine.
Video of the Day
Ivy - No Way
Whether it's climbing an outdoor trellis or sprucing up your living room, your puppy should stay away from English ivy. Also called sweetheart ivy, glacier ivy, needlepoint ivy or branching ivy, both the ASPCA and the Pet Poison Helpline list this plant as toxic to dogs. If your puppy decides to sample this green, he may experience drooling, vomiting or diarrhea. In most cases, ingesting ivy will cause lethargy and gastrointestinal upset; however, it can also lead to muscle weakness, difficulty breathing and in extreme cases, coma. If you catch your puppy eating ivy, call your vet and get a sample of the plant so the vet can confirm diagnosis and treatment, if necessary.
By Betty Lewis
About the Author
Betty Lewis has been writing professionally since 2000, specializing in animal care and issues, business analysis and homeland security. Lewis holds a bachelor's degree in journalism from West Virginia University as well as master's degrees from Old Dominion University and Tulane University.
Always check with your veterinarian before changing your pet’s diet, medication, or physical activity routines. This information is not a substitute for a vet’s opinion.