Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Cuteness may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story.

Grapes come in all types of delicious varieties and flavors. You love snacking on them on a hot summer day and having them with your favorite cheese. Since they're a healthy and tasty fruit – and surely good for humans – you're wondering if you can share some with your pup.

Before giving him a grape, you'll need to find out whether or not it's good for him.

Image Credit: humonia/iStock/GettyImages

Where do grapes come from?

Grapes are the number 1 produced food in the world; about 72 million tons of grapes are produced every year. People primarily eat grapes raw or use them for raisins or wine.

Advertisement

It is believed that humans began harvesting grapes in 6500 B.C., which was during the Neolithic era. Then, by 4000 B.C., people started growing grapes through the Nile Delta of Egypt as well as in Asia Minor. As early as 3000 B.C., the Hittites spread grape growing as they began moving to Thrace, Bosporus, and Crete. The Romans then spread it throughout Europe.

In the United States, the oldest grapevine is in North Carolina – it's a 400-year-old Muscadine vine. Typically, the average American will consume 8 pounds of grapes annually, and the bestselling grape in the country is Thompson Seedless.

Advertisement

Can dogs eat grapes?

Image Credit: LIgorko/iStock/GettyImages

Dogs should never eat grapes, or raisins for that matter.​ They are both very toxic to dogs. Grapes and raisins are so toxic that even if a dog eats just one of them, it could lead to death. Researchers aren't sure why grapes and raisins are so bad for dogs, but ​they should be avoided at all costs.

Advertisement

What are the concerns with feeding grapes to dogs?

There are numerous concerns with feeding grapes to dogs, including the following.

They can cause kidney failure

If a dog eats a grape, it could cause kidney failure, which might then result in death.

They contain mycotoxin, a salicylate (aspirin-like) drug, and tartaric acid

Advertisement

Though it is unknown why grapes are toxic, researchers think that it could be because they contain tartaric acid, a mycotoxin, which is a toxic substance that comes from mold or fungus, or a salicylate (aspirin-like) drug that might naturally be found in a grape.

Ingestion can lead to dehydration

If your dog has a grape, he may begin panting heavily, have a dry nose and mouth, and have pale gums.

They can cause other health issues

Advertisement

Grapes may cause your dog to have a lack of appetite as well as experience vomiting and diarrhea. Your dog might have abdominal pain, which you will know if it feels tender when you touch him. He could have increased thirst and/or urine production, or urinate less or stop urinating altogether. Your dog may also have trouble breathing, go unconscious, or show that he is distressed.

Image Credit: Jon Hicks/Stone/GettyImages

In conclusion

Dogs should never eat grapes or raisins. If you know or suspect that your dog has eaten a grape or a raisin, you should go to the veterinarian as soon as possible​. By knowing the signs of grape toxicity, you and your vet can hopefully pinpoint the problem immediately and stop your dog's kidneys from shutting down or reduce other side effects. To help your pup, your vet may recommend doing diagnostic tests like a complete blood count along with a urinalysis to determine the damage to his kidneys, and a serum biochemistry profile. Your vet could tell you to try to get your dog to vomit as well. If your vet is not available for any reason, you could go to a 24/7 animal emergency room and/or call the Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661 (an incident fee will apply).

For more information on what fruits your dog can consume, check out of our list of everything your dog can and cannot eat.

Advertisement

references