Even though you do your best to protect your dog from various poisonous household products, he may still find and ingest poisonous materials. If this happens, one way to help your canine friend is to induce vomiting. According to pethealthandcare.com, one of the best ways to do this is with salt. This job is simplified with two people, one to hold the dog's mouth open, and the other to administer the salt.
Identify what toxin your dog has ingested.
Call your vet to verify that it is safe to induce vomiting in your dog. Tell the vet what your dog swallowed, the amount she swallowed, when she swallowed the substance and her overall health.
Ask someone to help you to administer the salt, if possible.
Hold your dog's top jaw in one hand, and tilt his head back. Slide your hand around his jaw until your thumb is on the roof of his mouth, with his top lip gently held between your hand and his teeth. Position the middle finger of your other hand over the small incisor teeth on his lower jaw, and gently pull down his lower jaw. If you don't have an assistant, you will have to hold the measuring spoon of salt in the hand holding the dog's lower jaw, being careful not to spill the salt until the dog's mouth is fully open.
Have your assistance place 1/2 tsp. salt at the back of the dog's tongue. Release his jaw, and allow him to close his mouth.
Watch your dog until she has finished vomiting, and don't allow her to re-ingest her vomit. Preform any follow-up instructions from your vet.