Is a Lavender Plant Poisonous to Dogs?

By Teri Webster

Savvy dog owners know that some plants found in homes and gardens can be toxic to pets. But lavender plants are not poisonous to dogs. In fact, lavender can be viewed as having some health benefits for dogs.


A boy and his dog sit in a field of flowers.

David De Lossy/Photodisc/Getty Images

The purple flowers of a lavender plant have a lemon-like flavor that is pleasing to some dogs. Dogs are not likely to eat an entire lavender plant because of its unusual texture, according to Colorado Gardening, an online magazine.

Dog Treats

Bundles of dried lavender.

Goodshoot/Goodshoot/Getty Images

Pet supply stores sell dog biscuits and other treats that contain lavender flowers. A benefit of lavender is that it can have a calming effect on some dogs. For example, a pet owner can rub the oil from lavender flowers on a dog collar to provide a form of aromatherapy.


A bee pollenates a lavender flower.

Hemera Technologies/ Images

Lavender plants attract bees. If you grow lavender in your garden, your dog could get stung if she comes around.


A plane sprays pesticide over a field of flowers.

Jupiterimages/liquidlibrary/Getty Images

Do not allow your dog to chew on lavender plants treated with pesticides. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, some pesticides are linked to health problems.


A Veterinarian examines a sick dog.

Thinkstock/Comstock/Getty Images

Ask your veterinarian for advice before giving lavender to your dog. A trip to the vet might be required if your dog eats a large quantity of lavender or has an adverse reaction. This can include excessive scratching, vomiting or diarrhea.