What Should I Do If My Dog Eats Weed Killer?

Cuteness may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story.

If your dog has ingested weed killer, or if you think they have, take them to the vet immediately. Herbicide ingestion can cause serious effects and even death if not treated properly and quickly. A dog does not need to consume herbicide directly to be poisoned; sometimes just licking the residue off his paws is enough to cause symptoms — minor or more severe.

Advertisement

Herbicide poisoning can be fatal if untreated.
Image Credit: Chris Amaral/Digital Vision/Getty Images

Video of the Day

Toxicity of herbicides to dogs

The severity and type of symptoms your dog experiences depend on the type of herbicide ingested. Inorganic herbicides — which include borax, ammonium sulfamate, and organic arsenicals — are more toxic than organic herbicides; even a small amount can be fatal. Some of these herbicides have no known antidotes. Organic herbicides — such as carbamate and thiocarbamate compounds — are toxic but often produce milder effects. Exposure to these is easier to treat, and the prognosis is much better.

Advertisement

Milder symptoms of herbicide toxicity in dogs

The signs of herbicidal poisoning in dogs depend on what compound your dog has been exposed to. For example, many organic herbicides produce skin and eye irritation, breathing difficulties, diarrhea and vomiting, muscular weakness, and lack of coordination.

Advertisement

Some products, such as bipyridyl compounds or quaternary ammonium herbicides, can cause minor eye, nose, and skin irritation with brief exposure but can cause serious gastrointestinal-tract damage if ingested. Consuming a large amount of these products can lead to convulsions, loss of appetite, kidney damage, and breathing problems.

Advertisement

Emergency symptoms of herbicide toxicity in dogs

You should take your dog to the vet as soon as possible if you see signs of herbicide poisoning, even if you don't know what the cause might be. However, certain signs require emergency care. Time is of the essence in toxicity cases. Signs of an emergency situation include seizures, explosive vomiting and diarrhea, convulsions, high fever, staggering and leg weakness, rapid heartbeat, and rapid or labored breathing.

Advertisement

What to do if your dog has ingested a herbicide

Do your best to keep your dog away from areas where you know weed killer or other herbicides have been sprayed. There are other toxic substances to avoid also, such as blue green algae or rat poison. Contact your veterinarian immediately if you suspect your dog has ingested a herbicide.

Advertisement

Do not induce vomiting without first consulting your veterinarian. Under some circumstances, the vet might induce vomiting, or instruct you to do so, to get rid of as much ingested herbicide as possible. While there are no antidotes for most herbicide products, your veterinarian can provide supportive care in the form of IV, special vitamins or minerals, and hospitalization.

Advertisement

references