Is Silly Putty Toxic to Dogs?

Cuteness may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story. Learn more about our affiliate and product review process here.
Image Credit: Comstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images

Silly Putty has been in production since 1950 and can be found as a toy in many homes. Because certain dogs are known to swallow things that were never meant to be eaten, some may wonder if a pet that ingests Silly Putty faces any dangers.



Video of the Day

Silly Putty was created in the 1940s by James Wright during an experiment to discover a cheap substitute for rubber.

Video of the Day


Silly Putty is a nontoxic substance and does not irritate the skin. It is not poisonous to pets if swallowed, but may present other problems.



When a dog consumes a foreign object, such as Silly Putty, an intestinal blockage or partial blockage can form.


Symptoms of an intestinal blockage may consist of frequent vomiting, particularly after eating or drinking, or not eating or defecating normally.



Some partial blockages can take months to diagnose since symptoms may not be severe. If a blockage is suspected, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Always check with your veterinarian before changing your pet’s diet, medication, or physical activity routines. This information is not a substitute for a vet’s opinion.