Is Raid Safe To Use Around Pets?

If you've got pesky pests around your home, you may be thinking about taking the sticky situation into your own hands and killing them with an insecticide. One of the pest control products you found is Raid, which kills ants, roaches, bed bugs, and flying insects.

Image Credit: chendongshan/iStock/GettyImages

While you'd love to spray Raid Ant & Roach Killer or another one of their products around your home, you aren't sure how your pet will react to it. You don't want to bring anything that could be toxic to them into your space.

Before using Raid, it's best to discover how it could be harmful to your pet and what you could do to ensure your pet doesn't get hurt or have to go to the veterinarian for treatment.

Is Raid safe for pets?

Raid is not toxic to your dog or cat unless they ingest it. Some clear signs that your pet has ingested it and is now poisoned include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, coughing up blood, collapsing, a racing heart, strange behavior, and pale gums. Don't try to induce vomiting or give him treatment yourself. Instead, take him to the veterinarian immediately so he can get the proper medicine he needs to recover.

However, even if your dog or cat didn't ingest Raid, they may still be allergic to the ingredients in it. Contact with Raid could cause your pet's skin to become irritated. If you notice your pet is scratching or has a rash, then call your veterinarian and ask what to do.

Image Credit: JackF/iStock/GettyImages

Active ingredients in Raid

The active ingredients in Raid are Cypermethrin and Imiprothrin. Other ingredients include Ammonium Benzoate, Isobutane, Isopropanol, Petroleum Distillate, Propane, Sorbitan Oleate, water, and fragrance (in scented products). Ingredients in each Raid product will vary somewhat depending on the product type and scent.

Keeping your pet safe while using Raid

When you get Raid Ant & Roach Killer or another Raid pest control product, make sure you first read the label on how to use it. In general, when spraying insecticide, do it while your pet is outside or in another room. Keep the windows open when spraying. When you're done, exit the room, and return with your pets after at least 15 minutes. If you're going to use a fogger, you and your pets will need to vacate your home for at least four hours and leave it airing out afterwards for at least 30 minutes. Never spray Raid directly on a pet.

If you're using bait traps, keep them out of reach of pets. Place them in areas where your pet can't go, such as inside a drawer, behind a stove, in a closet that locks, or underneath furniture. When storing your products, also keep them out of reach of pets in a locked cabinet.

There is no need to wipe up the treated area where you sprayed unless you see your pet is licking up the product or it's irritating his skin. You should only wipe it up if you used it to successfully kill a few bugs, you spilled it, you sprayed it in the wrong place, or you or your pets could potentially slip on it.

In addition, you should keep any unused product out of the reach of any children and pets, so that they don't accidentally ingest it and become ill.

Image Credit: Krisana Antharith / EyeEm/EyeEm/GettyImages

Other solutions for getting rid of bugs in your home

Instead of buying Raid or other insect or ant killers, you could hire an exterminator who is familiar with pet safety. They will be able to let you know how to protect your pet against a spray or some other type of insecticide. Additionally, you should seal up any areas of your home where bugs are getting in to avoid having to use the spray inside your house altogether. Make sure your pet food is sealed in a metal container with a tight-fitting lid and that no other food sources are available to pests.

Conclusion

Sometimes, you simply can't avoid insects getting into your house. But by taking a few precautions, you can avoid your pet getting sick from the chemicals inside of Raid and other products. Raid is toxic to pets only if your pet ingests it. They may also have an allergic reaction to it if their skin comes in contact with it. If you suspect that your pet has ingested Raid or is having an allergic reaction on their skin, contact your vet as soon as possible.