Things You'll Need
Nail polish remover
For long-term or frequent application of nail polish on your dog, purchase dog-safe polish and remover from a pet store. Plastic nail covers that create a similar effect are also available.
If your dog ingests a significant amount of nail polish remover (more than one or two licks), take it to the veterinarian immediately. Dogs do not vomit, nor will they show dramatic physical symptoms, but the substance does cause damage to internal organs.
Use non-toxic nail polish remover when possible.
The ingredients in human nail polish and nail polish remover are often toxic to dogs. The fumes from both products are particularly strong to the sensitive nose of a canine. It's best not to use polishes designed for humans on your pet, because dogs can easily swallow the products when licking or chewing their paws. Polishes and removers made especially for dogs are available for purchase at pet stores. If human nail polish or nail polish remover is used on a dog, great care must be taken to wash away the product before the chemicals and fumes can harm the dog.
Dab a small amount of nail polish remover on the cotton ball.
Keep the dog's head and nose as far away from the paw as possible and use the cotton ball to wipe away the nail polish.
Immediately wash the paw with dog shampoo and water before moving on to remove polish from the next paw.
If the polish is on the dog's skin or hair, use a cotton ball with the least amount of remover possible to remove the polish. Avoid squeezing the cotton ball, causing remover to saturate the hair and reach the skin. Immediately wash the area where the remover was used.