Harry Potter Dog Names
"You're a wizard, puppy!" Okay, well maybe not actually a wizard, but one can pretend, right? Whether you're planning a trip to the Diagon Alley Dog Park or planning on curling up in a cardboard box near Platform 9 3/4, you're on your way to a magical time. Here are 109 Harry Potter dog names for girl and boy dogs. This list also includes 61 names from "Fantastic Beasts" at the end, because of your course your new pup is the most fantastic beast of all. That's a total of 220 totally magical names for your good boy.
Harry Potter dog names for boy dogs
There are a lot of male character names in Harry Potter, which makes it a great place to look for boy dog names, especially if you enjoy the Harry Potter world or want a name that sounds like it is from the wizarding world. Some of these are somewhat "normal" sounding names, like Amos, or Blaise, Bill, Fred, or Harry, but when you know the whole story of where they come from, there's surely a lot more to it. Plus, when you look at the last name of these characters as possible names also, that's many more (like, almost twice as many!) Harry Potter dog names for boy dogs to choose from.
Video of the Day
- Aberforth Dumbledore
- Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody
3. Albus Dumbledore - – This Latin name means "white" or "bright." Albus was the headmaster of Hogwarts.
4. Alecto Carrow
5. Amos Diggory
6. Antonin Dolohov
7. Argus Filch
8. Bartemius "Barty" Crouch Jr.
9. Bartemius "Barty" Crouch Sr.
10. Bill Weasley
11. Blaise Zabini
12. Charlie Weasley
13. Cormac McLaggen
14. Cornelius Fudge
15. Dean Thomas
16. Dedalus Diggle – A small wizard who is a member of the Order of the Phoenix
17. Dudley Dursley
18. Ernie Macmillan
19. Fenrir Greyback
20. Filius Flitwick
21. Fred Weasley
22. Garrick Ollivander
23. George Weasley
24. Gilderoy Lockhart
25. Godric Gryffindor
26. Gregory Goyle
27. Harry Potter – Harry is the hero of the stories and the main character. Outside of the book series, Harry is a nickname for Harold, which means "ruler of the home".
28. James Potter
29. Justin Finch-Fletchley
30. Kingsley Shacklebolt
31. Lee Jordan
32. Lucius Malfoy - The name Lucius has a root in the Latin words that mean "light" or "illumination." He is an enemy, a deatheater, and head of a pureblooded wizard family.
33. Ludo Bagman
34. Marcus Flint
35. Marvolo Gaunt
36. Michael Corner
37. Miles Bletchley
38. Morfin Gaunt
39. Mundungus Fletcher
40. Nearly Headless Nick
41. Neville Longbottom – A Gryffindor student, his first name means "new town."
42. Oliver Wood
44. Percy Weasley
45. Peter Pettigrew
46. Phineas Nigellus Black
47. Quirinus Quirrell
48. Regulus Black
49. Remus Lupin – This Latin name means "oar" or "second-born." Remus is a wizard who was the Teacher of Dark Arts at Hogwarts.
50. Ron Weasley
51. Rubeus Hagrid
52. Rufus Scrimgeour
53. Salazar Slytherin
55. Seamus Finnigan
56. Severus Snape
57. Sirius Black – the name Sirius is of Greek origin, meaning "glowing" or "radiant." It is the name of a bright star in our solar system. He is Hary's godfather and friend to Harry's parents.
58. Stan Shunpike
59. Teddy Lupin
60. Theodore Nott
61. Tom Riddle
62. Vernon Dursley
63. Viktor Krum
64. Vincent Crabbe
65. Walden Macnair
66. Xenophilius Lovegood
67. Zacharias Smith
Harry Potter dog names for girl dogs
There aren't as many female names in the Harry Potter universe, so that means there aren't quite as many to choose from. But the female names there are are certainly unique for the most part! Of course, you could choose a fairly "normal" sounding name like Alicia, or Cho. But then you also have the powerful and witchy-sounding names like Bellatrix and Nymphadora. There are some old-fashioned sounding names, like Dorcas or Marge, if that's your thing. There are some non-American names like Helga and Fleur. And then there are also mythological Harry Potter dog names for girl dogs like Andromeda or Narcissus. Go wild! Your little girl will love being called Minerva or Myrtle!
1. Alicia Spinnet
2. Andromeda Tonks
3. Angelina Johnson
4. Arabella Figg
5. Ariana Dumbledore
6. Augusta Longbottom
7. Bathilda Bagshot
8. Bellatrix Lestrange
9. Cho Chang
10. Dolores Umbridge
11. Dorcas Meadowes
12. Fleur Delacour – a French name meaning "flower." Fleur is the Beauxbatons Champion in the Goblet of Fire.
13. Gabrielle Delacour
14. Ginevra "Ginny" Weasley
15. Hannah Abbott
16. Helga Hufflepuff
17. Hermione Granger– Her Greek names means "messenger" or "earthly." She is one of the first characters we meet at Hogwarts and an important one throughout the series.
18. Hestia Jones
19. Irma Pince
20. Katie Bell
21. Lily Evans Potter
22. Luna Lovegood
23. Marge Dursley
24. Marietta Edgecombe
25. Minerva McGonagall
26. Molly Weasley
27. Myrtle Warren
28. Narcissa Malfoy
29. Nymphadora Tonks
30. Olive Hornby
31 and 32. Padma Patil & Parvati Patil – Perfect names for two dogs who are siblings or best friends! Padma is a Sanskrit name meaning "lotus" and Parvati is a Hindu goddess of fertility, love, and devotion.
33. Penelope Clearwater
34. Petunia Evans Dursley
35. Pansy Parkinson
36. Poppy Pomfrey
37. Rita Skeeter
38. Rolanda Hooch
39. Romilda Vane
40. Rowena Ravenclaw
41. Sybill Trelawney
42. Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank
Names of dogs in the Harry Potter series
Wait . . . this is too perfect, right? You're looking for a name for a dog that comes from the Harry Potter series, and there are some actual dog names! There's not that many, but if you do choose one of these names of dogs in the Harry Potter series, no one will be confused about what the inspiration was.
1. Fang – Hagrid's boarhound dog
2. Fluffy – Hagrid's three-headed dog
3. Ripper – Aunt Marge's bulldog
4. Snuffles (aka Sirius Black) – Sirius Black is an Animagus who can transform into a black dog, and is referred to as Snuffles by the Order of Phoenix to keep his identity a secret.
Pet names from the Harry Potter series
Like the names of dogs, there aren't that many pet names from the Harry Potter series to choose from. But the ones that are here are loaded with personality and meaning. If you are a fan, then maybe one of these names for a toad, cat, owl or snake will be perfect for your wondrous pet.
- Arnold – Neville Longbottom's toad
- Crookshanks – Hermione Granger's cat
- Fang – Hagrid's boarhound dog
- Fluffy – Hagrid's three-headed dog
- Hedwig – Harry Potter's snowy owl
- Mrs. Norris – Argus Filch's cat
- Nagini – Lord Voldemort's snake
- Norbert – Hagrid's dragon
- Pigwidgeon – Ron Weasley's owl
- Scabbers – Ron Weasley's rat
- Trevor – Neville Longbottom's toad
Names of beasts and creatures from the Harry Potter series
Here is where we get to have a little fun. Because there are many beasts and creatures in the Harry Potter series, but they don't all have character names. sometimes though, just the name of their species could be enough to be an interesting name. Consider Basilisk. It rolls off the tongue, has a unique sound, isn't instantly recognizeble so it can serve as ice breaker conversation, but is interesting nonetheless. Choosing a name like Dementor would be a really bold choice, and may scare off a few friends or potential friends you might meet at the dog park, but hey, if you're that bold, go ahead and be that bold! This is a list of the names of beasts and creatures from the Harry Potter series. Not their actual character names, but a list of the type of animal they are.
1. Acromantula (giant spiders) - Aragog is a giant spider
2. Augurey – large black bird
3. Basilisk – giant serpent
4. Bicorn – two-horned, goat-like creature
5. Blast-Ended Skrewt – hybrid creature
6. Bowtruckle – small, twig-like creatures
7. Centaur – half-human, half-horse. See the section below for the names of the Centaurs mentioned in the books
8. Chimaera – fire-breathing, three-headed creature
9. Dementor – creature that feeds on human happiness
10. Diricawl – flightless bird capable of teleportation
11. Doxy – small, fairy-like creature
12. Dragon there are several types of dragons mentioned: Hungarian Horntail, Ukrainian Ironbelly, Hebridean Black, Antipodean Opaleye, Norwegian Ridgeback, Chinese Fireball, Common Welsh Green
13. Erkling – elf-like creature
14. Giants – extra tall human-like creatures
15. Gnome – small, human-like creatures
16. Grindylow – water demon
17. Hippogriff – half-horse, half-eagle creature
18. House-Elf – small, human-like creatures
19. Inferius – reanimated corpse
20. Kappa – water demon
21. Knarl – hedgehog-like creature
22. Manticore – has a human head and body of a lion
23. Merpeople – half-human, half-fish creatures
24. Niffler – mole-like creature that is known to be attracted to shiny objects
25. Phoenix – mythical bird that rises from its ashes
26. Thestral – skeletal, winged horse that can only be seen by those who have witnessed death
27. Troll – large, human-like creatures
28. Unicorn – mythical horse with a single horn
29. Werewolf – human capable of transforming into a wolf
30. Yeti – large, ape-like creature
Names of centaurs in the Harry Potter series
The centaurs in the Harry Potter series live in the Forbidden Forest around Hogwarts. They are excellent archers. While some of them are friendly to the humans, or at least tolerate the humans, for the most part the centaurs do not want human company. Their names have a sound of being majestic and exotic, so keep that in mind if you choose from this list of five names of centaurs in the Harry Potter series.
- Firenze – a centaur who teaches Divination at Hogwarts
- Bane – a centaur who does not trust or like humans and wants to kill the main characters
- Magorian – a centaur who is the leader of the centaur colony
- Ronan – a centaur who lives in the Forbidden Forest
- Galatea Merrythought – a female centaur
Dog names from Fantastic Beasts
"Fantastic Beasts" is a film series directed by David Yates, and a spin-off prequel to the Harry Potter novel and film series. But you probably already know that if you're searching for dog names from Fantastic Beasts! Below are some character names from Fantastic Beasts that could work for your fantastic beast of a dog. Let's be clear, these are not names of actual dogs from the series, but they could work as dongs nonetheless. I mean, Credence Barebone (a half-blood wizard) is a perfect dog name just like that. Some characters are good, some are bad, some we don't know much about, but all are interesting name choices nonetheless.
- Newt Scamander
- Tina Goldstein
- Queenie Goldstein
- Jacob Kowalski
- Credence Barebone
- Gellert Grindelwald
- Theseus Scamander
- Leta Lestrange
- Yusuf Kama
- Porpentina Goldstein
- Newton Artemis Fido Scamander
- Jacob Bingley
- Mary Lou Barebone
- Chastity Barebone
- Modesty Barebone
- Irma Dugard
- Henry Shaw Jr.
- Langdon Shaw
- Senator Henry Shaw Sr.
- Seraphina Picquery
- Vinda Rosier
- Yusuf's father
- Corvus Lestrange Sr.
- Corvus Lestrange Jr.
- Laurena Kama
- Torquil Travers
- Walden Macnair
- Lestrange Brothers
- Madame Ya Zhou
- Arnold Guzman
- Augustine Sommerville
- Circus Arcanus
- Henry Shaw Sr.
- Irma's employee
Do you need more inspiration for your new pet’s name?
Pets are like our children. We love them, care for them, and we get to dress them up in adorable outfits — if that's a thing we feel like doing! So it's extra important that we take time to find the perfect name that reflects our new pet's personality and potential. Naming can be hard, which is why we've gathered nine pet-naming techniques to find the perfect fit, as well as assembled a handful of our most beloved lists of pet names!