Digging holes is more than just fun. It's one of a dog's most essential jobs. Without holes, there are large areas of dirt that a dog simply can't investigate — areas that might contain any number of things to be sniffed, eaten, or rolled in.
Video of the Day
Perhaps even more importantly, holes are a form of self-expression which allowing dogs to broadcast their perspective to the world. Let's take a look at a sample of the most impressive holes we've ever seen dogs dig.
1. After tireless hours of work, this artist dug a bespoke hole for lounging and for supervising the goings-on.
2. Beach-based holes are always very fashionable no matter the year.
3. Don't be fooled by her size, this emerging artist's digging game is strong.
4. We enjoy holes that are created for the purpose of nesting (or "puddling") as much as we enjoy holes created for pure function or aesthetics.
5. Elegance, simplicity, and comfort: everything a dog aspires to achieve in a hole.
6. A dual-function hole is always a winner in our book.
7. Don't worry, this dog isn't missing half his body. He's just dug a truly superlative hole.
8. Here's another promising young hole creator who chooses to work with sand.
9. This hole earned its spot on the list for its daring use of irregular shapes.
10. A master of digging demonstrates that the classic styles still have a place in modern hole creation.
11. Innovative and contemporary.
12. It's not just any hole that highlights a dog's sploot so gracefully.
13. We were delighted by this hole's fine craftsmanship. Craftsdogship?
14. The striking choice of location in an open field gives this hole an undeniable rustic charm.
15. Such devotion to the craft!
16. "My dog chewed a hole in our couch and 'buried' his coconut in it."
This conceptual hole was designed by and for the modern, city-dwelling dog.