"No person may bring any animal on or into any conveyance or facility unless enclosed in a container," decreed the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), the agency that operates New York City's assorted train lines, several years back.
But New Yorkers — and their pups — are nothing if not resilient and a more than a little creative.
CLICKABLES: Just 18 Dogs Chilling Out in Bags and Backpacks
Which, in a "challenge accepted" sort of fashion, has led to dogs being spotted riding the Big Apple's rails in all manner of totes, backpacks, purses, satchels, sacks, briefcases, and the like.
And naturally enough, where there's an urban phenomenon, there's an Instagram account there to document it. Enter Dogs In Bags, which has been chronicling these subterranean canines for the better part of the last three years ...
1. "Hey I thought this was an account for Bag Dogs not Bag Llamas"
2. "What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a dog in a bag before?"
3. "THIS IS NOT A DRILL: THERE'S A SLEEPING PUPPY ON THE F LINE"
4. "Many people may have seen me as the Pom Frites dog at the TSP Howloween Dog Parade, but my real home is a bag."
5. "Saw a total rarity this morning: Someone actually smiling on the MTA."
6. "You're gonna need a bigger bag." -- Every Jaws fan when they see this pic
7. [Judas Priest's "Breaking The Law" plays in background]
CLICKABLES: 20 Hardworking Dogs Doin' Themselves a Commute
8. "Sound on for this Ikea bandit" (No, seriously, you'll want to unmute this.)
9. "When you didn't get the promotion but bae is there to cheer you up"
10. "Portrait of a Bagdog (2015)"
11. "Never mind the bagdog, do you see the bagferret?"
12. "My mom: 'When are you going to settle down and have kids?' Me:"
13. "Laundry day"
14. "When you see your crush get off one stop early."
15. "My reax when I'm late and ...
... there's a delay in service."
16. "Close enough"
17. "Man, Mondays are ~RUFF~"
18. "How’s your bag?” “Good, you?” “Good.”
19. "He's trying to figure out how to herd everyone in the car! 🤣 🤣 🤣"
20. Phife Dawg was 100% right: "Riding on the train with no doge*," really does "suck"
Asterisk = Creative license officially taken.
21. [RECORD SCRATCH] [FREEZE FRAME] "Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation .... "
22. "Over. It."
Do you ride with your dog on the train? Tell us about it in the comments below!